I look out my window and I see the christmas lights that adorn our porch roof. Clear lights on the mantel and candlelight on the table. Snow falling, catching the glimmer of headlights. Darkness.
I smell cookies and garlic and cinnamon. Scents from my time spent in the kitchen today. I want to smell cookies and nutmeg. And somewhere in there needs to be the scent of pine and cedar.
I crave the taste of deep dark gravy with wine and garlic. Roasted lamb shanks marinated overnight with fingerling potatoes. This is the time of year that I want something simmering in a pot or slowly cooked in the oven. I want to drink hot liquids and taste the melted white chocolate in the double boiler.
I listen to holiday music and sing along to my favorites. I want to hear my family's voices - laughter and lightness, relaxed and curious.
Going outside, I shiver in the cold and let the snowflakes fall onto my face. I've spent the day holding the gifts that I am going to give, wrapping and folding; stirring and cutting. I kissed my son on the cheek as he left after dinner and I held my husband's hand as he told me about his day.
See, Smell, Taste, Hear, Touch. What do your senses tell you about December?
Tuesday, December 15, 2009
Sense of December
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I hear a wonderful woman call me to dinner. I smell a wonderful lamb shank with gravy that makes my mouth water. I touch a bowl that I've made with my own hands that I will give to a loved one. I kiss my wife and taste her lips.. ah, I'm home.
Post a Comment