As I write this my youngest daughter is upstairs blasting some rapping Christmas version of Deck the Halls. It's her way of getting into the spirit.
My other daughter is asleep – still dealing with the jet lag that traveling from Japan has created.
I watched the two of them tonight. In the kitchen, sitting on the counter and waiting for something to cook on the stove. Talking softly, giggling. So very different and yet enjoying each other's company. That's love flowing between them, I thought. It is visible in both of their wide grins and sparkling eyes – they really enjoy each other. One is fourteen and the other is twenty one and they sit there together with nothing better to do then be near each other.
I am happy. These children of mine have loving friendships that often digress into teasing and irritating each other. In so many ways they have found one of the keys to strong relationships: allowing their differences to shine.
I think of my older sister who I haven't seen in close to five years and my younger sister who I see every few months even though she lives less than five miles away. I can't pretend that we are close. There is love but how does friendship flourish untended?
My happiness is tinged with relief. My daughters are learning how to be friends.
No comments:
Post a Comment