Saturday, May 15, 2010

More than meets the eye

I looked at my yard and felt impatient for that moment in late July when everything is in bloom and overflowing the garden beds.  It took a long moment to realize that there was color already there that I seemed to be ignoring.  Grabbing my camera, I headed out to see that was there for me to appreciate:

I headed for the known drama queen in the garden - the tree peonies.

But I have to say that one of my all time favorites is the pansy.  Look at that color - how could this lovely flower be called common?

This columbine is a northwest wildflower that has decided to make itself at home in my garden.  I love it.


And then there are the blooming chives...

But here is the crowned princess of the garden - the oriental poppy.

I just liked this shot.

What northwest garden doesn't have a rhododendron blooming in the springtime?

And then there is the sure sign that spring is here to stay - the lovely zucchini seedlings putting out there first leaves. 
Andy loves the fact that I am growing so much zucchini.  Okay, that's not true - but look at how cute it is - could you deny this little plant's right to produce dozens of two feet squash?  I think not.

May in the garden - we'll see what next month brings.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Beautiful!!!!!! I am so excited too. I planted some Gypsy a few weeks ago and just got my first "teenie tiny" pink flower. I love seeing the plants happy. :)