Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Note to self: Warm up engines for at least five minutes before leaving the dock

So what if the boat has been sitting in the water for the last 6 months? Just turn that diesel engine over, throw off the lines, climb on board, idle out of the slip, push up the throttle to make the turn - and listen to that engine die. Um, did I mention that we were still moving and heading straight across the small channel towards a large, docked sailboat?
Using one fender and superhuman strength, A. managed to fend off from the sailboat from our bow sprint. Superhuman - as in - strength he didn't have and he really threw his back out. I ran into the pilot house and got the engine to turn over. Wheezing with pain (my poor superman), A. ran back in and asked - 'what did you do?' To which I replied - 'uh, turned the key?' He got us turned away from the sailboat, pointing in the right direction, increased the throttle and -yeah - the engine died again. One more time seemed to do it but we gingerly, slowly made our way over to the fuel dock to do a systems check. Of course the boat was now idling with a purr. A. checked all the fuel lines, transmission fuel, oil and we determined that yes, indeed, the only thing we had really done was expect an engine that had been off for over 6 months to run warm.

The good news is that the sailboat was unharmed and A's back is feeling better after massive amounts of advil. The even better news is the hope that our new dock neighbors saw the whole thing. That may seem strange until you hear how uptight this new guy is. We've been in our current slip over three years and he moves in last fall. He immediately started complaining about how big our boat was, gripping behind our back and actually filed a complaint to kick us out - that came to nothing. He tried to move but it fell through and we just felt bad that he had to be the kind of guy who couldn't just talk to us instead of making a power play to kick us out of our slip. Boaters aren't like that, for the most part. So I HOPE he watched our fiasco. I HOPE it really made him nervous - because we'll be back to our slip tomorrow, backing in right next to his precious baby. Maybe Andy should stall the engine - just to add some drama to the moment.

Anyway - enough of that. We're in Roche Harbor. It's Tuesday morning and I'm listening to the rain. Sam has finally grasped the fact that, yes, in fact, he can pee and poop somewhere other than his own yard. He has adjusted very nicely to the boat and loves laying out on the foredeck watching the world go by. We've been finding beaches for him to run around in the water - he's not swimming yet - but he's getting use to it. It is really quiet here and I have to say that I like it better than during the summer. Sure it's a little chilly - but the sun was out all afternoon and it was comfortable. I think we saw all of two boats out on the water yesterday which also made the trip through the Wasp Islands much more enjoyable than prior trips. Rosario was a bit dicey - but we expected that with the current opposing the 10-20 knot winds coming up Juan de Fuca Strait all night.

All in all, it is a marvelous trip with some high stress moments that lasted for a very short amount of time. That's the way boating seems to work. But I am here, my coffee in hand, a dog at my feet and A. finally getting a chance to sleep in after weeks of working hard. Kids are all off doing their thing (S. is in D.C. with a school trip) and we get to simply relax. Enjoy your day - I know I will!

No comments: