Saturday, February 9, 2008

How to run your own business

Like most of my life lessons, I tend towards the need to experience something in order to learn about it. I have to get into a situation in order to figure out how I will react. Luckily, in regards to my practice, I've been able to catch the scent of the thunderstorm before it opens up right over my head.

I think I'm learning stuff that other people learned long ago about business relationships. I went in expecting a certain level of professionalism - and found dysfunctional drama. Yikes. I didn't realize that I would have to utilize my skills as a budding therapist just to speak with my landlord - let alone the other tenants. Walking on eggshells when I'm just trying to figure out why a certain clause in the lease is worded so vaguely doesn't feel very professional to me. And why in the world am I responsible for the yard out front?

And of course, walking on eggshells around people with a tendency to have emotional, irrational meltdowns is a little too familiar. Can you say FOO? Besides, I will get enough of that in my practice - I don't want it outside my practice!

Anyway, I've been agonizing over what to do. Sifting through my own awareness of what I want my practice to look like and how I want these new relationships to look like.

I have started looking for another space. I went and saw a space yesterday that offered up a stunning contrast to my current location. It wasn't just the physical ambiance - which was beautiful - it was the landlord and how he greeted me, spoke and negotiated with me. It felt - clean. Professional and friendly. The room is larger with better access and just became available. It's more money and that's a bit hard to swallow - but I can sublease to bring my own costs down.

I am hoping that this will turn into a signed lease and I'm thankful that I had yet to sign a lease at the other place. And in that sick yet true way that the universe works, I am thankful for having had the experience of what I don't want. I don't have to operate that way anymore - I don't have to tend to the emotional wellbeing of my landlord in order to survive. I want the emotional drama to be happening in my office for which I am paid to tend - not in my professional relationships with the people I share space with. Not like this anyway. And if I am going to garden - it's going to be in my own yard. At least I know that much!

No comments: