I had a phone call today from a close friend today. It was her birthday and she was calling the people in her life that she loves and cares about to share her gratitude to me for being in her life. We have a mutual friend who did this on his birthday - and both phone calls touched my heart and made me smile.
Friendship is an interesting phenomenon at this point in my life. It is a series of circles that expands outward from my most intimate relationships to the far reaches of strangers and people I wouldn't trust if you paid me. I feel such gratitude in my heart because I actually have friendships - like my birthday friend - who are close, embraceable and solid presences in my life. There is an absence of expectations and an abundance of laughter and witnessing. These are the friends who witness my struggles and simply squeeze my hand with love.
So when this friend of mine called and left me a message of such love and gratitude, I thought about her and the lovely, beautiful, wise, vibrant spirit that she is. I thought about her eyes sparkling with humor; I thought about her fire and passion; I thought about her creativity. I remembered her birthday last year - we were in school together - and she was just discovering what it meant to have girlfriends. I knew then that I loved her dearly. And then I saw a picture of her as a little girl and I fell head over heels. :) What can I say? I'm a sucker for mischievous twinkles.
Sometimes loving and caring for people only happens for a passing time - friendships deepen and then change and fade. And sometimes, friendship simply are - they exist in their own time and space and it doesn't matter that you don't see each other every day. You miss them and you would love it if you could see them all the time - but even when you don't, the bond is there. This dear friend of mine celebrating her birthday tonight is that later type of friendship. I trust her with no expectations and no burdens. I love her for who she is - not just what I want to see. Grad school was like that with a few select friends - it opened up some deep and close friendships that I am grateful for everyday.
Happy birthday, my friend. I am so glad that you had a great day celebrating being born. I know that I certainly celebrate your presence in my life and on this planet!
With love and honor and the warmest of wishes - your friend,
Jen
Friday, February 22, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Oh...the gifts keep giving. Love YOU...but you know that. :O)
B~
Post a Comment