
The seed catalogs start arriving.
My favorite catalog came in over the weekend from Territorial Seed Company down in Oregon. It is one of my favorite winter activities - browsing through the pages and envisioning what this years garden will look like.
My garden is 60x40 with raised beds and fruit trees. There is a medicinal herb/rose garden as well as a plot of strawberries that will ripen come June. At the moment the garden is a forsaken mess of dead sunflower stalks and boisterous climbing roses that seem to house hundreds of finches all winter long.
I'm feeling the urge to dig in the soil and it is so nice since I haven't felt that in over a year. I want to grow my sugar snap peas and purple dragon carrots again. I want to eat ripe tomatoes still warm off of the plant and snip my own thyme and rosemary. I think I'll order sugar pumpkins and summer squash and long vined pole beans that will form a wall of green up the back of my fence.
But first I'll have to find my gardening shoes and gloves, the hoe and the wheelbarrow. I'll need to wait for those milder days of winter that just call on us to move outdoors - in many layers.
The garden calls - the growth, the labor and the fruition. If this isn't what my life is about right now - I'm not sure what is.
No comments:
Post a Comment