Friday, December 21, 2007

Winter Solstice

I woke up this morning to a world of white frost. As I took Sam the puppy out into the darkness that is 7 am, we were both careful crossing the driveway that was slick with ice. I'm glad I had sleepily pulled on about three layers of clothes, because Sam thought this quiet white world that crackled when he walked was much more interesting that doing the business that had taken us out there in the first place.

I like it when winter shows up for it's own party. Tomorrow is winter solstice - the longest night of the year. Once again, we gather to celebrate the light with family and friends. Isn't that what Christmas and Hanukkah are all about? To celebrate the miracle of light - enlightenment - the birth of redemption and peace? I remember reading in my ancient history classes about how yuletide festivities always happened on Solstice because that long night of darkness needed help to bring back the light of day. The yule log was an intentional way to help move that along. I think about Christmas in it's most holy aspects and it is the story of a long dark journey that brings about the birth of a great savior - the light against a world of despair.

So, for me, this weekend begins a period of time that is about the light that we all bring into this world and also an appreciation that long, dark shadows are cast at the same time. How can we appreciate candlelight unless we turn off the lights? It is a time of gratitude for those that I love - without whom the darkness would feel overwhelming.

You are all my candles burning bright. My love and gratitude go out to each of you who know me and read this blog. I am holding the spirit of the season in my heart as I understand it and how I have come to feel it. Bright blessing to us all.

No comments: