Friday, September 14, 2007

Mice in the walls

There's nothing like waking up at 3 am to the sounds of little furry feet - behind my head. The humane mousetraps will now be put away in order to make room for (insert scary music here) - the Orkin man.

The last two days have been long and draining, so I didn't appreciate the little nocturnal visitation. I've been working until 8pm at my internship site and not ending my days with easy cases. On a side note - two of my first year student friends interviewed this week and were offered positions for winter. That was fun to watch. I've also been doing some studying for orals. On the one hand, I've realized that I have actually retained quite a bit of the concepts as they have been taught; and on the other hand, I'm realizing how limited our true mastery over any of these theories is. We really didn't have that much teaching or reading on any of them. Questions come up and go unanswered because we simply haven't done the scope of research. This isn't bothersome and it isn't a problem - just an awareness that there is so much more to explore in each of these theoretical fields.

And so my weekend has arrived with full laundry baskets and a grocery store list. With my youngest daughter realizing in horror that yes, her parents are going to check her homework and not let her watch TV until its done. Ah, the joys of parenting. And actually, I do mean it - there's something grounding about the basics of my role as parent right now. My head is so full of intellectual *crap* that to sit and work with my daughter in a way that makes us both really show up in that relationship - that is truly a blessing in my life. I know that she needs someone to push off of right now - and I'm willing to be that rock. I know A. is too. I sometimes lose sight of my most important reality so it's kind of nice to regroup and shrug the grad world aside.

No comments: