Saturday, August 18, 2007

Cooking from the farmer's market

I was inspired today by the bright colors and abundance found at my local farmer's market. One large leek, some broccoli and homemade chicken stock has created a wonderful soup for later this evening. I have summer squash and zucchini to grill; peaches and nectarines to cut up and serve over ice cream. Berries are being picked as I write to can up as jam. I also picked the first few asian pears off of my tree in the garden and was amazed at the sweet, warm taste.

All of these experiences feed something in my body that mindlessly shopping at the local Safeway can't touch. We hear the messages all the time about eating sustainably, eat locally - and what I have found is that I really feel better when I do. I am much more aware of the work that has gone into each piece of produce. I have a face to put with a particular farm. And somehow my body has begun to crave that which is in season right now. It's odd and real at the same time.

There's this little book that I love called If the Buddha Came to Dinner. Hale Sofia Schatz writes:
"How do we regularly nourish our spirit so that it continually bears fruit? How do we literally feed this part of ourselves? Imagine for a moment that the Buddha is coming for dinner. What would you prepare? Most likely you wouldn't run out for fast food burgers and onion rings. Instead, you'd spend time shopping and preparing the freshest, most tasty, wholesome meal you could produce with your very own hands, in your very own kitchen.
Now let's imagine that you are a spiritual being - which you are - what would you feed yourself?"

No comments: