Here I am as Captain of the Ship. I actually spend a lot of time at the helm. There is such a wonderful sense of peace that I feel as I guide our boat over the water.
We just got back from four days out in the San Juans. Two nights were spent on the hook out at Sucia Island. You can't get to Sucia by car or plane - just kayaks and boats. Sitting on the outer most edge of the island chain just north of Orcas Island, Sucia is a forested paradise with carved sandstone bluffs that march along the shorelines. Eagles and otters, seals and starfish - its all there to enjoy. There are great hiking trails, lovely lagoons to explore by kayak and of course there's jumping off the back of the boat into 50 degree water. Not me. My daughter and her best friend had that fun experience. They did have wetsuits on - but still, brrrr. Kids these days.
We left Sucia and made our way down to Friday Harbor for a quick stop. Tying up to the transient dock, we stayed for a few hours taking care of a few boating chores and watching the ferries come in and out of the dock. Being right before the 4th of July, the harbor was very busy. I left my VHF radio on just to listen to the harbor traffic. Boaters come in all shapes and sizes - as well as skill level and basic common sense. The whole continuum was working in that harbor.
We headed over to Fisherman Bay on Lopez Island to join some friends for dinner. We met sisters and cousins and parents; played kick the can and ate dinner under a clear sky. The company was wonderful - filled with laughter and warmth. Food was delicious. It was the perfect way spend our last night out.
It will be a few weeks before we go out again. Weekends in July disappeared into weddings, social gatherings, concerts. All that I am looking forward to and yet, that water calls...
No comments:
Post a Comment