Monday, June 18, 2007

Gearing up for The Paper (play Jaws theme here)

As I sit and begin the process of writing my final Clinical Theory Paper, I find myself in somewhat of a predicament. On one hand, I want to keep reading, exploring and mining the huge library of information out there in the world regarding psychotherapy to find "my theory". On the other hand, I am contemplating the notion of halting the information upload and sitting within my own mind and asking myself what works for me right now, in this moment.

What I realize is that there is a way to do both.

Part of what I’ve been learning over the last year and a half is who I am – the landscape of me. My currency and my style; my strengths and my edges – all represent fundamental ways that I show up with my clients. Certain therapeutic modalities work well for me. Other modalities have offered up small tidbits that I’ve incorporated into my personal toolbox without taking on the whole philosophical stance behind the theory. Overarching all of this is my awareness of my excitement in being a student again with the permission to continue my education indefinitely as well as my growing sense of confidence in what I am bringing into my own practice today.

Onward...to module...

No comments: