Monday, April 23, 2007

I'm from Out West

Being on the east coast, wandering through Boston and Providence, J and I keep talking about what it means to be a westerner versus a New Englander. She teases me about my western "drawl" that I don't even hear - but then I exaggerate it and can have her in stitches.

I notice two things the most: the brick used to build everything - and the age of the buildings. The Churches are beautiful in an old world kind of way. Built when the church was the center of the universe and it's size and beauty was a testimonial to the devotion of the builders. Brick, brick everywhere. You can use brick when you don't have to worry so much about earthquakes. Half of these old building would be gone with one good 6.0 shake.

It's odd to think that J is going to be out here for the next four years. It feels a bit like a foreign land with lots of adventures just waiting to happen. Her excitement coupled with the fact that this is the best college for her to launch any career from offsets my own motherly concerns.

J is changing. Growing up and somewhat prickly about my tone of voice, a particular look - that kind of thing. I'm figuring out how to treat her like an adult and she is bouncing off of me - separating. Sometimes the growing pains are tough. All I can do right now is respect her perspective and feel gratitude that she's got a good head on her shoulders. There are some things she doesn't want to hear and I have to ask myself why I want her to listen. That whole notion of 'intention' keeps me thoughtful about my own motivations and allow me to sit back with a sense of patience not irritation.

Rhode Island is far from home - my home. I'm not sure where her home will end up being. That, in and of itself, is the biggest piece of letting our children out into the world. I learned years ago that I have no control over my children's actions and sometimes the mystery is daunting.

Right now, however, we're going to go explore the school and get a tour of her future home. It's a beautiful day and she's happy and excited. What more could I truly ask for?

No comments: