Tuesday, September 1, 2009

One Down and Two to Go

One child started school yesterday – my youngest child, mind you – while the other two are still… here. My other daughter leaves on Sunday for her semester abroad in Japan and my son continues to look for a job to match his freshly minted college diploma.

I can imagine the house will be quiet sooner than I think. I can even imagine missing all of my kids when they are no longer living in upstairs bedrooms. Right now, however, I might just attack the next adult child who comes in and says, "What's for Dinner, I'm hungry!" and then squabbles over who is going to do the dishes.

I had an amazing epiphany yesterday in regards to a piece that I've been writing and I tried over and over again to find the time to sit down and work through my brilliant plotting plans. It didn't work out so well. They all wanted to touch base with me, chat about their plans and activities. They wanted to be – gasp – social…with me. And all I wanted to do was shut the world out and write. Oh how hard it was to turn off my computer and rip myself out of the creative process in order to go be with the people that I love.

And in the end I went to bed knowing all about middle school volleyball and lack of lockers at school. I know how my husband moved his office and felt about the transitions he's made at work. I know that my son is still happy in his new relationship and that my daughter played basketball until her legs hurt. I've shared my day as well and somehow we have all connected in those small, innocuous ways that families do. We've touched each other's lives, like a hand on a shoulder or a pat on the back, and enjoyed that gift of care.

My writing sits and waits. I learned a long time ago to jot down my ideas as fast as I can because I never know how long it's going to take me to get back to it.

I don't mind being a hermit. I love being in relationship more.

No comments: