Friday, February 20, 2009

Why the Silence

What is there to say?

The art of unmasking is a challenge for a writer. How hard it is to strip away the layers that create the artifice of my daily life. Even trying to "be real" or "authentic" takes on the veneer of a mask.

I love writing. I love exploring my world through the written word. And yet, blogging is like standing in a crowded park and talking to myself. Writing is the yearning to be known. But what sense am I to make of the fact that while I have given my blog address out to many friends and family – that only a couple still check in on occasion? My own mother who used to read this regularly forgot that I was even doing it. She simply drifted away because what was being said here did not hold her interest. That is my assessment, at any rate. I don't necessarily draw the conclusion that it is my lack of being interesting that has caused that to happen. It doesn't matter how busy the people around me are – living their own complicated lives – what I simply understand is that my yearning to be known; the desire to bring my perspective into the written word so that I can be seen is a futile effort.

Who cares? Beyond me, that is. And why does it matter? Does it matter?

Sometimes it matters. Not a great deal of the time – but there are moments when I move into that needy place of seeking validation outside of myself. There are moments when I want to be sought out – when I want to know that my voice is not only heard but enjoyed. And how strange it is, in those same moments, when it does happen, when I am seen – that I shy away from that focus. I deflect that attention and breathe a sigh of relief when the focus moves away from me. I want and I do not want. What I crave I also fear.

And so I end up in this place of homeostasis. Pulled by needs, stymied by fears – ah life. Is it really different for anyone?

Then what do I do? I end up writing about it. Turns out I had something to say after all.

2 comments:

Beth said...

LOL...oh Jen...I understand. To be known, heard....even praised. Maybe you could work on your book (cookbook with stories intertwined...I haven't forgotten), publish it and then tour the world to adoring fans. I'd show up. :)

Ben said...

I love the image of you standing in a park talking to yourself. Makes me wonder about those street folks who talk to themselves - maybe they're just blogging.