My husband and I got out on our boat this weekend. Just the two of us. No kids or dogs. It was a working weekend – repairs and upkeep issues on a boat are never ending. But that was okay because it was a long weekend by ourselves. It turned out to be a bit of a nature weekend as well. I woke up in our marina that first morning to seals and herons on the docks around us. On our way up out of Rosario strait headed towards the top of Orcas Island, we found a rather large pod of orcas cavorting in the channel. They were breaching and playing, feeding and wandering on their way. We anchored up near Sucia Island and while kayaking got up close and personal with a fishing eagle. The otters were down at Indian Cove on Shaw. A mother and two pups. Again, we were kayaking and they were most likely clamming off the shallow bottom. I could include the six crabs that I caught as part of my wildlife survey – but they had a different ending: cooked and eaten off the back of the boat while watching the sunset.
We had a chance to connect and relax and rest. I think it has taken me most of the summer to realize how busy he is. How hard it is to be under such stress at work and then try to come home and find any energy to be present in relationship. The thing is, I hold this as a stage – that it will ebb and flow. As long as we can have these breaks to stop and breathe; to look into each other's eyes and reacquaint ourselves with how much we love each other – enjoy each other's company – then I can hold steady.
It's the last time I'll probably be out on the boat this summer. School starts next week, different events are happening over weekends all the way up through September. That's okay. I love winter boating – when the anchorages are empty and the marinas are slow. The task is to continue to pause and breathe; to look around and see what the world has to offer in the moment.
1 comment:
What a perfect trip. Connecting with nature and your guy. :) Thanks for sharing these precious moments in your life.
Post a Comment