Friday, April 4, 2008

An Opportunity to Say No

I had a job opportunity come my way - full time for a couple of months working in some of the local schools. The "full time" requirement, however, was not what I wanted. Could I do it? Sure. Would it be great hours and learning? Absolutely.
But it would mean not being home to pick S up from school.
I spent some time earlier in the week clarifying once again what my priorities are. And being able to pick her up from school, communicate and support her process at the moment is top of my list. Rest and getting back in touch with my body and my needs is right up there as well. I know that I've been managing through a funk. I know that there has been some family of origin stuff coming up for me lately as well as just trying to build my practice. Admitting to myself that I am tired and need to stop pushing has been hard.
I thanked the employer for thinking of me and stuck to my guns of wanting part time work that didn't top out over 20 hours a week. I would love to work with that group of folks but I also was able to clearly stay present to what I need right now.
So the universe provided me with a lovely little lesson of saying no. A lesson in supporting my self and my own needs right now. It was a bit uncomfortable to pass up the opportunity but I will trust that other opportunities will find their way to me that fit in more with my personal vision of life success.

1 comment:

Beth said...

Ah, saying No.....such a lesson for me. It's nice that I'm not alone in taking these opportunities to stand up for what feels right. Cool.